Chilly temperatures call for spicy chili. But not just any chili – a wham-bam, ka-pow style chili thanks to a special ingredient: coffee. Oh, but not just any coffee: French Roast. The mother of all coffees – the deepest, darkest, most intense roast out there. French Roast brings a strong, smoky flavor to the party that enhances anything it touches, including spice. And this chili has spice thanks to our good friends: chili powder and chipotle. Throw together a pot of this chili and prepare for your football/track meet/lazy Sunday experience to be turned up to 11.
Vegetarian Chipotle Black Bean Chili
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 1 French Roast Coffee K-Cup® or Vue® pack, brewed at 8-oz setting
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced
- 3 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Grated Vermont cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh chives to garnish, as desired
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and pepper and cook until tender and beginning to turn golden, about 8- to 10-minutes.
Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook 1-minute. Add tomatoes, coffee, and chipotle. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add beans and salt. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until mixture thickens slightly, stirring often, about 30-minutes. Season to taste with additional salt, if necessary. Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chives, if desired.