Imagine an invigorating, revitalizing facial treatment with immediate results that rejuvenates both your skin and your senses. How much would you pay for that? Spa treatments that polish your body can be upwards of $100, and specialized home products can come with a hefty price tag. Did you know that two powerful elements of skin care are exfoliation and caffeine? What remains after brewing your coffee is a treasure trove of skin-renewing micro scrubbers. You can save time, money, and your skin by making your coffee grounds pull double duty; brew your coffee, then combine your grounds with some easy-to-find household ingredients to make your very own coffee face scrub.
Why is a Coffee Ground Face Scrub Beneficial?
In addition to the physical exfoliation you get with coffee grounds, the acid in coffee gives a bit of a chemical exfoliation boost (think astringents and other liquid exfoliants). Coffee is loaded with
antioxidants that help fight the most common skin woes and signs of aging – fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, acne scars, dark marks, puffiness, redness, dark circles, the list goes on. Combining those properties with the benefits of things like brown sugar, vanilla, nourishing oils and other minerals gives you an amazing coffee scrub for face and body that you’ll be able to indulge in as often as you brew a cup of coffee.
How Do I Make My Own Coffee Face Scrub?
This is probably the best part – there are so many options for creating your custom face scrub that the possibilities are truly endless. Once you get the basic components down, you can add, subtract, increase, swap, and revamp whenever you’re ready for a change. Here’s the basics of what every good coffee scrub includes:
- Coffee grounds. Some argue that brewed grounds aren’t as good as fresh, but most say that brewed not only works great but is less wasteful.
- Nourishing oil of your choice.
- Both brown and white work well and make a gentler scrub, while raw sugar is a bit coarser and more abrasive
- Sea Salt, Epsom, or Kosher Salt. Provides extra minerals and a different texture for increased exfoliation with detoxifying qualities
- Essential oil/spices/herbs – adds fragrance and sometimes other restorative properties, depending on what is used.
You don’t need a lot of coffee grounds to get started, either. In fact, what’s left in one K-Cup® pod after brewing is the perfect amount to make a small batch, which will last 2-5 days, depending on how you use it. If you use your coffee scrub for your face only, it will last longer, especially if you limit your use to 2-3 times a week. If you can’t resist and use it as a whole body scrub, the grounds from one K-Cup® pods will last 1-3 applications.
To get started, remove the grounds from your K-Cup® pods (either single-use or reusable) and put them in a bowl. Add one cup of whichever sugar you prefer, or what you happen to have on hand; you can always try something different next time. Stir the coffee and sugar with a whisk until they’re evenly combined. This is where you add your salts (some recipes only call for sugar, so experiment to find your perfect blend) and your essential oils or other fragrant components and mix well. Finally, add 1 tablespoon of your chosen oil and stir to check consistency. You can add more oil if needed, but you don’t want so much oil that it’s going to dissolve your sugar or leave your skin feeling greasy. Your mixture should feel grainy and should be able to be molded with your fingers.
How Do I Use My Coffee Ground Face Scrub? How Should I Store It?
Now that you’ve mixed all your ingredients, there are several ways you can use your coffee scrub, starting with your face. Standing over the sink (the crumbly nature of the mixture makes it a bit messy), take a small amount of the scrub between your fingers and start massaging all over your face. It may feel a little harsh at first, because the ingredients are a little more coarse than typical store-bought scrubs. A few seconds in and you’ll be loving it. Massage all over your face and neck, paying special attention to any problem areas. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Don’t worry if your face feels like there’s a little oil left after rinsing. Your skin will absorb it quickly and you’ll be touching your face all day because of how soft it is.
For your body, you can either stand on a towel and apply before you get in the shower, or simply apply in the shower, being careful not to get water in your scrub container. Use more on your feet, knees, or anywhere you need a little extra exfoliation. Rinse off and pat dry.
To store your coffee scrub, place in an airtight container. It will be fine at room temperature for a few days, but if you will take a while to use it all, keep it in the fridge to keep it fresh.
Tips & Tricks
- Gather your coffee grounds over a period of time (keep them fresh by freezing them while collecting, or gather a large amount from a French press or other brewer) and make a large batch of your coffee scrub to give as gifts for any occasion.
- Experiment with add-ins like pumpkin, honey, avocado, and yogurt to custom-tailor your scrub to your skin’s needs.
- Start by using 1-3 times a week to see how your skin reacts to regular exfoliation. If your skin seems red or irritated, reduce to once a week, and/or change your scrub ingredients. If your skin keeps getting better and better, use it up to 5 times a week, as everyday use might be too harsh for delicate skin.
Vanilla Harvest Coffee Scrub Recipe
- 2 tbsp. coffee grounds
- 1 cup sugar (white, brown, raw, etc.)
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coarse salt (Epsom, sea salt flakes, kosher salt)
- 1-2 tbsp. oil (coconut, olive, jojoba, almond, etc.)
Whisk together coffee grounds and sugar in a small bowl until evenly mixed. Add spices, vanilla, and salt and whisk again until uniform. Slowly add in your oil until mixture holds together but doesn’t start dissolving the sugar and salts. Indulge immediately, or cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to use.
It’s no secret that a fresh, hot cup of coffee in the morning is a beautiful thing, and now that cup can make you feel even more beautiful every day. Drink up, and scrub on.