Did you know last Friday kicked off National Get Organized Week? I’m sure you knew, if it was displayed at your desktop, on a sticky note in your planner, or typed into your I-phone calendar. You get the idea.
It’s no surprise that each year seems to get busier and busier in our lives, from our hectic schedules at work or school, to making time with family and friends. The pace of our lives never ceases to amaze. And so, it is relieving to know there is one week in the year that is actually scheduled to ‘get organized’. What better way than the midst of the school year and fall season to learn a few tricks and tips for order and organization in our lives. So here are my top 5 tips to getting organized. Maybe you’ll find yourself trying a few out in your jam-packed day:
- Make lists. I am a big list maker and let me tell you, it does wonders. We do not realize sometimes that with such a long laundry list of to-do’s, if we do not actually write down what we need to get done, things may just slip between our fingers.. Sticky notes should be your best friend! Have fun with it by picking out neon stationary and different shapes and sizes to really stand out and will not be lost at your desk or on the kitchen fridge.
- Spring clean. Fall, Winter, & Summer, too! Although it is such a breath of fresh air to get out those lemon-infused cleaners and make our windows shine that beautiful day in May, ultimate cleaning should not be saved just for spring. Make sure you’re always refreshing your space, whether it’s re-decorating your study in your house or changing out your plain white towels for a pop of orange in the bathroom this fall! Even going through your closet every month –I know! – will help in your domination of organization! Any type of face-lift, however big or small, can definitely get you on the track of organization and a sense of zen.
- Store and put it away. For good. It’s always hard to let go of things that we may not necessarily need and that step of actually letting go is tough, trust me. However, once you actually ask yourself when you last used a certain item, whether at home or at your office desk, it will be that much easier to cope with the loss and move on. Declutter space, even a little at a time.
- Stay calm! Overwhelming yourself will not help in organizing your day-to-day life. Try tackling one task at a time and you will be able to conquer all. Try sipping on a cup of Bigelow Green Tea, using your Keurig® brewer, while preparing to power through your organizational skills.
- Make it fun! Whether you’re color coding, label making, or using some other fun and funky way of getting organized, you will see that it can actually be a creative challenge and one that will not make you cringe next time you organize your drawers! To give you that extra energy, go bold with Coffee People Jet Fuel K-Cup® packs. You’ll really be ready for anything. And perhaps even a dance party!
I hope you try out some of these tips and your day just might become that much more organized. Won’t it be a great feeling to then have more time to do all the things you love?