By Allie Hanson
Whether you’re a parent, a grandparent, an aunt, an uncle, or a babysitter, there’s one thing about summer that you can’t avoid no matter how hard you try: “I’m bored.” Let’s face it, kids will be kids and they will constantly need to be entertained. But what will you do when you feel like you’ve used up your best stuff?
The answer: crafts. But not any ol’ crafts – K-Cup® pack crafts. You’ve seen some ideas from us in the past but now we’ve got another activity that will keep the kids entertained, help decorate your living space, and are utilizing things you already have around the house, including used K-Cup® packs.
Introducing… K-Cup® pack Wind Chimes!
- K-Cup® pack, used with lid, coffee, and filter removed (remember to let the pack cool before taking out the insides)
- Pen or hole punch
- Paints of all colors, preferred if made to adhere to plastic
- Small paint brush and/or sponge
- String or yarn, cut into five 18 inch strips
- Plastic or glass beads
- Small bells
- Optional: Little plastic gems, glue
- First, assemble supplies, making sure all internal contents of the K-Cup® pack have been safely disposed
- With a pen or hole punch, make four, equally spaced holes around the top, opened edge of the K-Cup® pack
- Paint the K-Cup® pack! Solid colors, spots, stripes, blotches – make it your canvas! Let dry.
- Once the paint is dry, glue on gem stones into fun patterns.
- Take one of the pieces of yarn and make a large knot at the end. ; Pull the un-knotted side of the yarn through the bottom of the K-Cup® pack where a hole was already punctured when brewed; tie a knot at the other end of the string.
- With each of the four remaining strings, tie the end of one piece of yard to each hole that you’ve made on the K-Cup® pack
- With the un-knotted end, thread each piece of yarn with beads; tie a knot at the end, leaving 1 ½ inches after the knot.
- Tie bells to the end of each string.
- Find a window or tree branch to tie the wind chime and let the wind run through it! You’re done!
Now, enjoy the sounds and beauty of your creation!