By Kristen Mercure
Snow. White, crisp, fluffy snow. It comes with winter, here in New England, and brings with it delight as well as the motivation to crank up the heat. But while we all enjoy complaining about the sinking temperatures and flurries as if we had never even thought that it could ever happen (chatting about the weather: it’s practically a pastime), New England in the wintertime is divine. From the first snowflake to the last run on the mountain, we live in a crisp, white wonderland. It’s easy to forget the joys of the season brings when you’re in the midst of it, so here’s a list to get you excited for the coolest season of all:
- Warming up by the fireplace
- Thermoses of hot cocoa with marshmallows
- Seeing your breathe in the air
- Knitted mittens and hats!
- Snow days
- Leaving a smiley face in the snow on a stranger’s car
- Big, warm, filling meals: beef stew, chicken pot pie, lasagna
- Catching snowflakes on your tongue
- Thick blankets
- The holidays – Hanukah, Christmas!
- Caroling around the neighborhood
- Sleigh rides!
- Cold, starry nights
- Snowball fights
- Bright blue skies over crisp, white mountains
- The sound of snow crunching under your boots
- Ice skating and hockey games on the pond
- Down vests
- Planning vacations in tropical locations (even if you never really go)
- Snowshoeing in the woods!
What do you love about winter?