Green Mountain Coffee Island Coconut is one of our top seasonal K-Cup pods! Every spring season, we get just as excited as you guys do for the anticipated island flavor so what better way to kick off the island coconut season than with some fun facts about the delicious coconut?!
1. Coconuts are not nuts, but stone fruits (or drupes) just like peaches, plums, and cherries.
2. The coconut palm is cultivated in over 80 countries, with Indonesia, the Philippines, and India being at the top of the list.
3. Coconuts are used around the world for more than just eating and cooking — many parts of the plant and fruit are used in a wide range of industries, from beauty products to building materials to biofuel.
4. We think this use gets its own shout out: did you know that coconut water can be used as a substitute for blood plasma in emergency situations?
5. One of the earliest mentions of coconuts in literature is in the folk tale of Sinbad the Sailor, from the Arabian Nights.
6. Need a break from the standard Top 40 fare? Pop in Harry Nilsson’s 1971 hit “Coconut” and chill out for a bit.
7. May 8th is National Coconut Creme Pie Day. Hey, that gives us an idea…
8. …brew a cup of Green Mountain Coffee Island Coconut®, one of our favorite seasonal varieties, and give this drupe its due!