Bold French Roast. Exotic vanilla. Creamy ricotta. And fresh…beets? Yes, the combination may sound odd, but when they win the Best Signature coffee drink award in the 2009 Italian Barista Championship you know there’s something to it. The presentation alone is noteworthy – a striking fuchsia with a stunning bullseye – but the flavor – a balance of smoky Barista Prima Coffeehouse® French Roast, tart ricotta, and bright sweetness of the beets – makes this a favorite treat for coffee connoisseurs. Make this recipe for your next brunch and see their eyes widen and their mouths ask for more.
– 3.5 oz small red beets
– Pinch of salt
– 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
– 1 teaspoons confectioner’s sugar
– 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
– 4 oz (1/2 cup) ricotta cheese
– 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
– 1/4 cup milk
- Peel beets and trim ends. If using larger beets, cut into ¾” pieces. Place beets in a steamer and sprinkle lightly with just a pinch of salt.
- Steam beats over simmering water for 35-45 minutes, until very soft. Chill beets in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- To make Chantilly cream, combine 1/4 cup of cream, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Whip until slightly thickened, but before any soft peaks form. Chill until ready to use.
- Combine cooked beets, ricotta cheese, granulated sugar, milk and remaining cream in a blender. Puree until completely smooth. The mixture should be easily pourable. Add more milk and cream in equal measure if mixture is too thick to pour.
- Set out 5 6oz glasses. Pour ¼ cup beet cream mixture in to each glass. Spoon in 2 tablespoons Chantilly cream in the center of each glass.
- Brew Barista Prima® French Roast into a glass measuring cup.
- Very slowly pour about 3 tablespoons coffee in the middle of each cream circle.
- Serve immediately.