Fall is in the air!
It is the autumnal equinox, which means today is equally divided by daytime and nighttime. It’s time to say good bye to those long summer days, but it doesn’t have to be bittersweet. I know I am ready to say hello to no allergies, no bugs, perfectly moderate weather, and beautiful foliage. Here are ten great ways to savor all that autumn has to offer before winter rolls in (I’m sorry for even mentioning it).
- One word: pumpkin. Eat everything pumpkin you can find. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, and of course Green Mountain Coffee Pumpkin Spice. When you’re not eating pumpkins, try your hand at carving them. Save the seeds and then roast them to commence the pumpkin eating again!
- Build a scare-crow to keep your Jack-O-Lanterns company. Despite the name, scare-crows don’t have to be scary and they can be as simple or as elaborate as you want to make them. Building your own scare-crow is a fun, kid-friendly way to spend an afternoon.
- Go for a hike, nature walk, or even just a brisk stroll around the neighborhood. Even if you don’t live in a climate like ours here in Vermont that offers stunning autumn foliage, it’s still great to get a breath of fall fresh air.
- If you are lucky enough to have a ton of leaves to rake, jump in! Nothing is more satisfying than plunging into a fluffy mound of leaves, especially if you are the one who’s done the raking all day. Don’t be shy; this one isn’t just for the kids.
- Pick your own peck of apples or pick a peck at your local farmer’s market. Use your fresh apples for apple pie, caramel-coated apples, or try a cheddar and apple pizza. Then, what better way to celebrate your hard work than with Hot Apple Cider and apple cider doughnuts?
- Get out in the country and go for a hay ride. Whether you go tractor- or horse-drawn, the sweet smell of hay and the gold and jewel tones of harvest will transport you to an autumn wonderland.
- Get lost in a maze of maize! You’ll be amaized by how fun corn mazes are. Okay, I’ll stop being corny.
- Visit a haunted house or haunted woods. Get your heartbeat pumping and prepare for a lot of laughs afterwards. This is the one time of year when you should be afraid of the dark.
- Break out that old guitar and gather around a bonfire. The weather is just right for getting cozy around a crackling fire with a few good friends and a steaming cup of Cafe Escapes Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa. S’mores anyone?
- Play a game of touch football. Many of us will be doing a lot of football watching this season, but why not join in the fun yourself? The crisp weather is perfect for running around!
What are you most excited about doing this fall? If you are anything like me your list is eating, more eating, and eating with good company!